Monday, June 12, 2017

Book Review: The Soul Thief by Majanka Verstraete



Publish Date: November 10, 2014
218 pages [Kindle edition]
Booktrope
 
Synopsis:
When sixteen-year-old Riley is injured in a car crash and sees a girl stealing a boy’s soul, she’s convinced she’s hallucinating. But when she sees the same girl at the hospital later, she knows she wasn’t dreaming. That’s when Riley learns her secret heritage and who she really is: a halfling Angel of Death.

Riley must come to terms with her new reality and supernatural abilities, but before she can do this, girls her age start dying in mysterious circumstances. It’s up to Riley to figure out why, what the innocent victims have in common, and what she can do to stop them.




My Thoughts:
I was gifted this ebook via Netgalley.
The Soul Thief starts out with the MC, Riley, getting into a car accident and seeing a girl take the soul of a little boy who was part of the car accident as well. I really was drawn in immediately to the story and had high hopes for it. From there, it kind of went downhill. I would not say this was a bad read, poorly written, or anything like that. I felt that I had read this story a million times over. It was full of so many YA tropes. You could replace the Angels/Reapers with just about any other paranormal being and I would have read that story written by someone else. Lots of angst, a little instalove, girl finding out she's not just a human, instalove interest training her to fight a big fight, etc. What it boils down to is that it was 100% predictable and there were moments where I had to watch how hard I was rolling my eyes so they wouldn't fall out of my head.

No comments: