Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Books I Read in January


The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles - 4 stars (finished 1/5)
BOOK 1 IN AN UNTITLED SERIES
I was gifted this book via Netgalley.
Review: here.


The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket - 5 stars (finished 1/12)
BOOK 3 IN THE SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS SERIES
I love that even though I am now a 28 year old adult person... I can still enjoy these books as much as I did when I read them in my early teen years. They are just so funny and brilliant...and dark. The best non-happy ending story I've ever read. I think the wittiness is so quick and unexpected at times...or perhaps just the humor itself - not necessarily wit. IDK. Regardless, love this series.

This particular book is not one of my favorites, but I still have to rate it 5 stars because it's still such a good book. The Baudelaire orphans have arrived to live with their Aunt Josephine (who isn't really their aunt), who is a widow and also frightened of literally everything. She also loves grammar. Her love of grammar was probably the most annoying part of the book.

The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket - 3.5 stars (finished 1/15)
BOOK 4 IN THE SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS SERIES
This is not my most favorite of the series. It seems relatively short compared to the other stories and I think that's only because not much really actually happens. It's a very blah book.

The Austere Academy by Lemony Snicket - 4.5 stars (finished 1/20)
BOOK 5 IN THE SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS SERIES 
I have always rather liked this book even though it's incredibly depressing..I mean all the books are depressing, but this one is just rather sad because even through all their experiences, the Baudelaires don't seem as down as they do in this book. They even meet another set of orphans and befriend them. So there are good things that DO happen, but the bad stuff is just so bad that it's so hard to not feel so bummed for the Baudelaires. Nero is one of those characters who you just want to slap. Count Olaf, I feel, gets even darker in this book. AND a little more is revealed that starts unraveling the past and I love that.

The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket - 5 stars (finished 1/22)
BOOK 6 IN THE SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS SERIES
It may be because I went into the book "blind", a word here that means I couldn't remember what happened in this book of the series, but I really enjoyed this one. I totally forgot who was assisting Count Olaf and most of the details of what happened in the plot. The guardians in this book, while one did know the Baudelaire's mother, are awful...as per usual.

The Fearless Travelers' Guide to Wicked Places by Pete Begler - 2.5 stars (finished 1/26)
I was gifted this book via Netgalley.
Review: here.

No comments: