Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Enclave [Book Review]


Stats:
#1 in Razorland series
Kindle Edition, 272 pages
Published April 12th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends (first published April 11th 2011)
ASIN: B004H1TC9S Find on Goodreads

Synopsis:
WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE

In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.

Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace.

As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known.



My Thoughts:
It gets hard for me at times to read the same subgenre of YA over and over. While I love dystopia, I do get sick of it after a while. Zombie dystopia is a little newer to me and zombies in general is something I haven't read a lot of...off the top of my head maybe 3 or 4?

Enclave was a total surprise for me. The cover isn't necessarily attention-grabbing, but I had it on my TBR for it's high praise by my favorite book bloggers and the synopsis definitely interested me. I only picked it up in July because it was the BOTM for a new group I joined on Goodreads: David Estes Fans and YA Books Lovers Unite!

Society is all underground after a second Holocaust. No one lives past 40 and no one in the group that Deuce belongs to is older than 25. The first part was more building on what the world is like and you get introduced to the Freaks. The Freaks are the zombies. They have lesions on their skin, razor sharp teeth, and claws. They eat the dead (including other Freaks), but will eat the living if they are hungry. Aguirre doesn't spare us on gore and that is probably my most favorite part :)

In part two, Deuce [highlight for spoiler:is aboveground] and things get intense. I love how this part is written and I seriously appreciate how badass Deuce is as a YA girl protagonist. She isn't a girly girl. She isn't weak. She's just AWESOME. The end leads way to a little bit of a love triangle. Honestly, I think I'm Team [Stalker]. I've heard that Outpost is even better and I need to make time for it asap!

Previous Review:
Devil's Food Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke [here]

Linking up at Saturday Situation

No comments: