Saturday, March 30, 2013

Everneath [Review]


Stats:
#1 in Everneath series
384 pages [Kindle]
Published: 24 January 2012
ASIN: B005C72QKI
Find on Goodreads



Synopsis:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she’s forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s...



My Thoughts:
There is a place most call Hell, but if you've really been there, you know its name is the Everneath. It's full of Everlivings, not demons and devils and bad people. The Everlivings are immortal beings who need to feed on human emotions to keep living. Every 100 years, they take a new human to feed from. Nikki is Cole's Forfeit, or human nourishment. He tells her she can become an Everliving to escape becoming a battery for the Everneath. She refuses, clinging to the one face that Cole has been unable to take away, and she is attacked by the Shades, dark shadowy smoky creatures. Nikki chooses to go back to the surface before the Shades take her away to become a battery in the Tunnels. She only has 6 months to say goodbye to all her loved ones that she didn't say goodbye to before when she left with Cole to become his Forfeit. Even though she has been with him for 100 years in the Everneath, only 6 months has passed on the surface. Nikki especially wants to make amends with the boy whose face she thought of every day for the last 100 years: Jack.

I really really really wanted to love this book. The whole premise is really unique and very interesting. I normally love books that go back and forth between present and past. It wasn't that this book wasn't well written, but more the characters were hard for me to like. I didn't like Nikki. I didn't really like Jack. I especially did not care for her father. In fact the one person who I found myself rooting for...was Cole...the "villain". I have decided not to read the next in the series.



Previous Review:
Dualed by Elsie Chapman [here]

Linked up at...



 photo fortunesiggy_zps8aec6f49.png

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just bought this for Kindle because.. well.. I just can't pass up a sale. I've seen mixed reviews. I hope I love it. Great review. It's hard to love a book when you can't connect with the characters.

Jessica Eustace said...

I read this book a while back. I'm with you, I wanted to love this book but just couldn't.