Thursday, October 4, 2012

Marked [Review]


Stats:
#1 in House of Night series
306 Pages [Paperback]
Published 1 May 2007
ISBN: 0312360266


Synopsis:
The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed.  In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire -- that is, if she makes it through the Change.  Not all of those who are chosen do.  It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling.  She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers.  When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.


My Thoughts:
I have had this sitting on my bookshelf at home for years now. I felt guilty that I hadn't read it. It was lonely up there on my shelf. I read a graphic novel version of The House of Night and I liked the premise of it. I flew through this book. It was an easy YA vampire book that was written in more of the voice of a young teenager. At 24, I'm totally okay with this voice and tone. It doesn't bug me. In fact, most of the things that irritated or made other readers angry didn't bother me at all. I may just have a high tolerance and love to find more characters to love.

In Casts' vampyre world, vampyres are made through "Trackers" marking the forehead of a human. This forces you through the change, but not everyone survives it. Zoey is marked, but with a tough home life and a mildy obnoxious bff and boyfriend - she isn't so upset about it. She goes to the House of Night school with all the other adolescent fledglings (baby vamps). She quickly makes friends with her roomie Stevie Rae and her friends, Damien, Erin, and Shaunee. She also makes herself a new enemy, the queen bee of the school, Aphrodite. From there, it's kind of that good ole cliche of mean girl vs. new girl plus mean girl's ex-boyfriend storyline.



Previous Review:
Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings [here]

[Counts toward my TBR Pile challenge: here] 

Linked up at...

5 comments:

Caitlyn said...

I have an obsession with books that have a boarding school type of setting, so naturally, I liked this book. And I liked the others that followed it too, until it got to Awakened. I don't think I even finished that one, which doesn't usually happen.

Chantal said...

I read it. It was ok.

tara said...

these arent the best vampire books ever, but they're entertaining enough so i keep reading them! lol

lily white english rose said...

i loved this book and although they are now on book 9 or something (quite a lot for a series) i am still enjoying them. i t started reading these before the whole vampire bang because of twilight and even tho there are loads of books out similar to this i still love the series and am waiting for the next book (possibly the last one in the series) to come out :D great review :D
www.thelilywhiteenglishrose.blogspot.com

joyh82 said...

I have read most of this series. Still need to catch up on the last one. I thought the first one was a little racey for some ages of YA but that could just be me. It does keep you guessing though and I love that in a series.