Monday, June 11, 2012

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 1 [Review]


Stats: 
76 pages [Paperback]
Published 25 Jan 2012 by Dark Horse Comics
ISBN: 1595828117
[Amazon::Barnes&Noble]


Synopsis:
The wait is over! Ever since the conclusion of Avatar: The Last Airbender, its millions of fans have been hungry for more--and it's finally here!

This series of digests rejoins Aang and friends for exciting new adventures, beginning with a faceoff against the Fire Nation that threatens to throw the world into another war, testing all of Aang's powers and ingenuity!



My Thoughts:
I started watching the Avatar series with my kids about a year ago and fell in love with it. I loved the movie, so I figured I would love the comics - and boy, was I right!

The Promise Part 1 begins after Aang and his friends have helped bring the end to the Hundred Year War and they have allied with the new Fire Lord, Zuko. With the Earth King, they come up with a plan to restore harmony between the nations. But, they find themselves faced with a new war when Zuko withdraws his support from the harmony movement.

It ends with a huge cliffhanger and I'm kicking myself for not getting my hands on these comics sooner! I would love to pick up Part 2 and continue reading. They are very well written. They are funny, just like the tv series. Gurihuri really stole the show with his artwork. For such little detail in the sketchings of the faces, he shows an insane amount of emotion. That, to me, is talent. The colors popped and the paneling of the story was perfect. I highly recommend these to Avatar and comic book fans alike!

Thank you to Dark Horse Comics and NetGalley for the chance to review it!



Previous Review:

Titanic: The Long Night by Diane Hoh {here}

No comments: