Friday, November 18, 2011

Bossypants [Review]

Bossypants
Stats:
277 Pages
Published 5 April 2011

Synopsis:
In her acceptance speech for Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, Tina Fey announced that she was proud to make her home in "the 'not-real America'." It is perhaps that healthy sense of incongruity that makes the head writer, executive producer, and star of NBC's Emmy Award-winning 30 Rock such a cogent observer of the contemporary scene. Bossypants, her entertaining new memoir, shows that strangeness has been her constant companion. Fey's stories about her childhood in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania are only appetizers for LOL forays into her college disasters, honeymoon catastrophes, and Saturday Night Live shenanigans. Most funny read of the month; the best possible weekend update.

My Thoughts:
Ever since her SNL days, I have loved Tina Fey. She's hilarious.

When I found out she was writing a book, I knew I would read it. I underestimated how funny it would be. I was laughing out loud, reading excerpts to my husband (interrupting him from whatever important thing he may be doing), and even noting a few things I really liked about the book.

I love her sarcasm, the part where she wrote back to her fans, her description of a typical photoshoot, and her opinions on breastfeeding.


My favorite part, however, was her talking about putting in her contacts...
"Right up until camera time, I was sweaty and green from having to touch my own eyeballs like that. If you've never had to do it, I'd say it's not as quease-making as when you lose your tampon string, but equally as queasish to a self-breast exam. If you are a male, I would liken it to touching your own eyeball, and thank you for buying this book."

Previous Review:
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (#1) by Joanne Fluke [here]
Currently Reading:
The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain (Clamhouse November Book Club)

5 comments:

Lauren {Adventures in Flip Flops} said...

I have wanted to read this for a looong time! Thanks for reassuring me that its worth the wait!

Unknown said...

YES! I LOVE this book! She's so funny! My favourite part was when she described her haircut as the stylist folding her face in half and then cutting out a heart. I nearly died.

Katie said...

I read the sample of this on my Nook, and it didn't really draw me in. Sounds like its worth reading, huh?

Heather said...

She is hilarious! I still haven't read this one, but it's been on my list forever.

Why Girls Are Weird said...

I've been wanting to read this but I have such a LOOONG list of books to read, eek!