Thursday, September 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince [Review]

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince



Stats:
#6 in series
652 pages
Published 16 July 2005

Synopsis:
The war against Voldemort is not going well; even Muggle governments are noticing. Ron scans the obituary pages of the Daily Prophet, looking for familiar names. Dumbledore is absent from Hogwarts for long stretches of time, and the Order of the Phoenix has already suffered losses.

And yet . . .

As in all wars, life goes on. Sixth-year students learn to Apparate — and lose a few eyebrows in the process. The Weasley twins expand their business. Teenagers flirt and fight and fall in love. Classes are never straightforward, though Harry receives some extraordinary help from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince.

So it's the home front that takes center stage in the multilayered sixth installment of the story of Harry Potter. Here are Hogwarts, Harry will search for the full and complex story of the boy who became Lord Voldemort — and thereby find what may be his only vulnerability.


My Thoughts:
I read this one when it came out but didn't remember any of it really. Except the big huge thing that happened in the book. Even if it's fiction, it's like dementors are surrounding me or something...like I'll never feel happiness again. Rowling has amazing talent to evoke readers to be so immersed in the story to cry (like I did during the 5th book) and feel as if you'll never be happy again (like with this one).

I also feel like this book was a "in-between" book. It doesn't feel like a whole book. There was no meeting with Voldemort at the end of the book and fighting him like the rest of the books. Most of the book was spent with many plots and questions and that all ended pretty swiftly in the last few chapters. That's why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5.

I also get curious about Rowling's writing process. Did she know all along what she would do with each book or did she do them one by one, tying in different storylines like puzzle pieces?

Previous Book: 
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (HP #5) by JK Rowling [review]

Next Book: 
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (HP #7) by JK Rowling

 

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Yeah, this movie was one of my least favorite of the series. I still love them all, but this one was not as exciting. And wth does being the half-blood prince mean?

Love your book reviews; so well-written!

Heather said...

Thank you for linking up!! Have a wonderful Friday!

Lulu and Sweet Pea said...

Just thinking of this book makes me teary eyed. It's so dear to my heart & I love it.

The name "half blood prince" came from Snape being a half blood (His father was a muggle & his mother was a pure blood, and her maiden name was Prince). I remember getting chills when I read that part of the book where he revealed himself as the half blood prince because of course we all thought perhaps it was James, or maybe Sirius' book or something...but definitely NOT Snape. That, combined with all of the revelations in The Deathly Hallows makes me want to bawl my eyes out right now for a character I went 5 3/4 books hating.